This week at the Destinations International Annual Convention, we launched our newest research study on Latin American Travel Trends. The study, which spotlight the behaviors, preferences and influences of travelers from Argentina, Brazil, and Mexico, shows that on average, Latin American travelers are taking nearly five trips per year and their average leisure trip duration is 10 days. This is more than any other country we have previously surveyed from our Multi-National Travel Trends Research, which looked at the same trends and behaviors of travelers from the U.S., Canada, U.K., Germany, France, China, Japan and Australia.
Here are some things you need to know about behaviors of travelers from this region:
- Brazilians and Argentineans are taking the longest trips of anyone across the globe, at 11.1 and 12 days per trip on average respectively. Note that of all the countries surveyed, Australian travelers rank third in longest trip duration, with an average of 10.6 days.
- Six in 10 are undecided on a destination when they first decide to take a trip, and more than 70 percent are open to help and inspiration.
- More than 50 percent use online travel agencies (OTAs) during the trip planning process, ahead of airline, hotel or destination websites, and OTAs show the strongest conversion from planning to booking.
- More than half use their smartphone when looking for travel inspiration, and more than one-third conduct travel research on their mobile device.
- Relevant content and messaging are key to effective advertising; 60 percent said ads with appealing deals can be influential, and approximately half said ads with informative content or appealing images can influence their decisions.
And most importantly, here is what you need to consider when reaching these travelers:
- Travelers prioritize experiences over deals, and take longer holidays, so marketers should lead with unique activities and experiences and promote a longer length-of-stay itinerary – while providing relevant deals to make the decision even easier.
- The majority of travelers haven’t selected a destination when they decide to take a trip, illustrating ample opportunity to influence through effective advertising.
- Travelers seek inspiration from a variety of sources, and a multi-platform strategy will empower marketers to reach and influence travelers with relevant content throughout the purchase journey.
- Travelers turn to OTAs for trip inspiration and booking, demonstrating the importance of strategic partnership opportunities.
Download the full study for more findings and insights that marketers can leverage to better reach, engage and convert travelers from this region. Also, make sure to connect with us on Twitter and LinkedIn for more travel trends and insights, and stay tuned for additional research throughout the year.